Monday, March 26, 2012

Spring is in the Air

We drove like maniacs from Bristol, TN to California so we could get there a day early to enjoy some much needed time off. You would be surprised how much getting even one day off from the normal routine can rejuvenate your spirit. After we checked into our hotel we decided to take the hour drive up to gorgeous Big Bear Lake, to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. The drive up in itself was very scenic.

Just the week before, Big Bear had received the most snow it had gotten all season. A local man said just around 30"!! By the time we got there, a lot of it had melted away but there was just enough that the mountain and trees were snow capped. I have been to Big Bear City once before, just a few years ago when I was touring for Burton Snowboarding, but since we spent all of our time at the mountain resort demoing boards- I didn't get a chance to really check out the lake.

(Doing hoodrat thaangs with my hoodrat fraands on the Burton tour-first time at Big Bear)


So once we finally got there, we pulled off at a park that was right next to the lake. It had a small dock that you could walk out on, and that many people fished off of. The weather couldn't have been more perfect. It was 50 degrees out, and the sun was shining without a cloud in the sky. Not thinking, I wore an off the shoulder tee and sandals, and although I wasn't cold- I had to walk through snow and my toes were definitely numb by the end of the day! Brandon and I took the opportunity to take a TON, and by a TON, I mean over 100, pictures of the scenery, each other, and pictures together. Being the picture whore that I am, that did not phase me one bit but I could tell Brandon had had his fill.



(so studly)


Toes were FREEZING




We spent a good hour and a half there and by that time we were getting hungry and wanted to grab a bite to eat and get back down the mountain before it was dark. We stopped at a local restaurant called Captain's Anchorage where I tried my first buffalo burger! SOOO GOOD. With full bellies we decided to start heading down the mountain. Right when the sun started setting behind the mountains, Brandon pulled over and said we needed to take a few more pictures (and I thought he was sick of it by then). He has a pretty good eye for photography and he definitely picked the right time of evening with the perfect background to pull over! By that time of the day, we were kinda gross looking but we were having so much fun and didn't care how we looked!


having sooo much fun!





The day was full of quality time together, not having to rush to the next city or worry about work the next day. We definitely ceased the opportunity to take in the natural beauty that God has created in this world, and lets face it, it doesn't get much better than that! Spring is all about dormant things coming to life again, and this fun and gorgeous trip up to Big Bear is just what I needed to get out of the drab funk of winter, and to feel the optimism of what Spring has to offer this year!



2 comments:

Jan said...

Big Bear Lake is amazing! It's where my bf and I got "official" and where we spent our late 1st year anniversary. Hopefully, it's where we have our prenup photos taken ;)

xo,
janmloves.blogspot.com

Kate said...

Aw, what great pictures of you two lovies!

PS. Turn off your word verification. When anyone goes to comment they have to type in the word ver. 1st. It's annoying and you'll get very few comments because of it. Text me if you need help!